Hi Thomas,

About the 53230A -- like many of us I figured there was no point in buying the
expensive OCXO versions since I have plenty of good 10 MHz references around
here. So years ago Keysight loaned me two of them for a month: one with, and
one without OCXO. Like most counters, the 53230A has an ext-ref input. But it
is horrible. And the ref output is even worse. I think we've discussed this on
the list before, including ADEV and PN plots. I decided not to buy one, ever,
until they fixed the problem.

So it could be a nice counter. Someone at Agilent / Keysight needs to re-design
the int/ext/mux/pll clock handling of the 53230A; someone who understands phase
noise and short-term stability; someone who honors the intent of ext-ref-in and
ref-out; someone who keeps stupid microprocessor / LCD / comms / power supply
noise out of the clock path. Meanwhile I keep my old 53132A's and older SR620's
and stay away from the 53230A.

If you have your own measurements, please share. Maybe I just got a bad sample,
I don't know. But the ext-ref performance smelled like poor engineering to me.
My hope is that someone on the list will hack a 53230A, fix the problem, and
share the solution with us, or even with Keysight.

/tvb