Nigel wrote:

with far too many assorted internal photos plus details of said interesting
discovery, with extra brownie points to anyone who might already be thinking
foam and cardboard sandwiches:-)

Oh, my, that brings back memories! That method of "encapsulation" was used by a number of Rochester electronics firms of the era. It was developed by a good friend of mine with whom I worked at another firm about a decade before Spectracom was founded, and was introduced at Spectracom when he moved there.

It's hilarious now, looking at the crude PC layouts, the PC cards that look like they were separated with hatchets (in reality, they used heavy-duty, office-type guillotine paper cutters), and the "definitely not near mil-spec" hand soldering job using at least 5x the optimum amount of solder. Spectracom didn't even have a dip-soldering operation, much less a wave-soldering system.

It was a much, much simpler time, one rung up the ladder from hippies in a basement....

Charles