Hi,

With LPL you can do a simple calculation to calculate
a worst case packet delivery time.If sleep interval is
1000 ms then in worst case every hop transmission will
take ~1000ms. Now as hop number of hop increase this
delay grows significantly. This explains the huge
delay.

Also you said about lost packets. This is due to
timeout issues. While using LPL with any other upper
level protocol the time out and delay of both layers
should be tuned according to each other.

Regards
Ravi