I have not had success using TOSThreads to write to the Uart interface.
So, I devised the following test.

Using tinyos-2.1.2 distribution, I performed the following test with two
telos motes:

cd apps/tosthreads/apps/RadioStress
make install,1 telosb threads bsl,/dev/ttyUSB1

The mote's led's indicate that it is transmitting.

cd apps/tosthreads/apps/BaseStation
make install,2 telosb threads bsl,/dev/ttyUSB0

The mote's led's indicate that it is receiving.

export MOTECOM=serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:telosb
java net.tinyos.tools.Listen

Output to the console is a stream of bad packet messages:

serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:115200: bad packet
serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:115200: bad packet

Now, I replace the threaded version of BaseStation with the event-based one:

cd apps/BaseStation
make install,2 telosb bsl,/dev/ttyUSB0

Output from java net.tinyos.tools.Listen now appears correct.

Can anyone confirm this behavior? Is this a known problem with the
BaseStation threads demo?

Stephen