In the past I've handled these issues by being very specific (on the syllabus
and with multiple reminders before exams) about what type of calculator (or
other materials) they may have out during the exam. Some stats profs I know
don't allow calculators that can do statistical calculations (so one model is
allowed but another one is not). We had a cheating case in which the student
was found 'responsible' (by the university's disciplinary board) of using the
wrong calculator on the stat exam (despite the fact that there was no direct
evidence she had actually used the calculated improperly).
So the presence of a cell phone can be just another item on the list of things
students may not consult during an exam (in addition to notes, textbook, mom,
the person next to them, previous exams, etc). Of course they might not be
caught but if they are caught I would guess the assumption is that they used it
for cheating (e.g., if a student is caught consulting his/notes you don't have
to show that the student benefitted from the notes - just that they consulted
improper materials).
Marie

Marie Helweg-Larsen, Ph.D.
Department Chair and Associate Professor of Psychology
Kaufman 168, Dickinson College
Carlisle, PA 17013, office (717) 245-1562, fax (717) 245-1971
Office hours: Mon/Thur 3-4, Tues 10:30-11:30
http://users.dickinson.edu/~helwegm/index.html