I am not sure how to react... here, "adjunct" faculty only teach... no
research, no service.  I certainly do not think that people who only teach
classes should receive the same pay as someone in a tenure-track position
(which includes far more responsibilities).  And, just for the record, a
starting Asst. Prof. may make only a little better than "peanuts"... maybe
cashews.

At 06:10 AM 10/31/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Colleagues,
>
>A recent article appeared in the main section of the
>Orange County Register titled "Part-time college
>teachers use peanuts to protest pay."
>
>The article reads in part..."In Columbus, part-time
>professors drew attention to their pay by handing out
>bags of peanuts to state lawmakers. What do elephants
>and part-time faculty have in common - both work for
>peanuts."
>
>Since I am a part-time faculty myself this article hit
>me right at home! I thought I would share this with
>all of you and perhaps get some discussion about this
>started.
>
>Regards,
>Payam Heidary, M.A.
>
>P.S. By the way does anyone want a bag of peanuts!

Stephen W. Tuholski Ph.D.
Asst. Professor
Dept. of Psychology
Southern Illinois U. at Edwardsville
Edwardsville IL 62026
Phone: 618 650 5391
Fax: 618 650 5087
http://www.siue.edu/~stuhols

"Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so."
                        - Bertrand Russell