>Okay Stephen then if you think adjuncts only teach
>then lets just compare salaries of "just" teaching
>classes between part-time and full-time. If you look
>at how much part-time instructors get paid per unit it
>is a fraction of what full-timers get. If we are
>teaching the same classes then we should be getting
>the same pay. EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK! This applies
>more to 2-year institutions in which teaching and only
>teaching is the sole priority and responsibility of
>both part-time and full-time faculty.
>
>Payam

Payam,
Equal pay for equal work is a "moral issue" but I believe current
circumstances are really a market issue. I would agree that part-time
faculty are poorly paid. But, so are faculty in general compared to
lesser trained folks in a wide variety of occupations. Salaries in
academia, for the most part, are determined by supply and demand.
That's why my colleagues in the Business College (e.g. Accountancy or
Marketing) make so much more than those of us in Psychology (even
though two in our Marketing department actually have Ph.D.s in
psychology).  My colleagues in mathematics complain about the
Computer Science faculty in their department making way more than
they do.  Within our discipline there is also a lot of variance. Just
compare salaries of new Ph.D.s in I/O with those in Developmental or
Cognitive. Supply & demand. Now, if there were only very few folks
out there willing to teach psychology courses as adjuncts, then....

George
--
George D. Goedel
Professor & Chairperson