>Yes I know about supply and demand and I know
>full-time faculty are poorly paid also. But the
>question is why are the SAME faculty who teach the
>SAME CLASSES in the SAME DEPARTMENT making 4-5 times
>more for the same work of part-timers. This is the
>million dollar question!
>
>Payam

No Payam,  the question really is WHY do the part-timers choose to do
the "same" job for 4-5 times less?  They could always "just say no".
;-)
They are not "forced" to teach are they?  Would they do it for
nothing? (some folks do so as a Grad students for the experience).  I
suspect not. So, "4-5 times less" must be an acceptable amount that
is attracting enough folks to meet demand.

Also, they really aren't the "SAME faculty" (full timers &
part-timers) are they?  They are different folks.  I suspect the
full-time folks have been there a lot longer, have an investment of
sorts in the institution and it's success, may have started at a low
salary but received raises over the years (which now result in higher
salaries than recently hired folks- even unions argue for longevity
or seniority for those who have given years of service),etc.  Faculty
that teach part time in my department who have been with us for a few
years are paid more than "recently hired" part-timers even though
they may teach the same courses.  There is value in prior experience
and we are willing to pay more for that experience.  Even "new"
part-timers at McDonalds  generally make less than those who have
been there for a while for serving the "SAME" french fries.
George
--
George D. Goedel
Professor & Chairperson