Title: RE: classical conditioning of nausea
Paul Brandon wrote:

"Its special nature is demonstrated by the fact that all stimuli
present during ingestion do not become CS's; just the taste/smell of
the food. You don't usually acquire an aversion to the person you
ate the food with."

But in this case the smell of the wood chips has become a CS. Isn't that
unusual for a taste aversion? If this were similar to a taste aversion,
he would smell the wood, get physically ill and then get ill whenever he
smelled wood chips again. He was not the one who originally got sick. He
only made the connection between the two smells at school.
Rick

OK -- it looks a bit more complicated (read question before answering it, as I tell my students ;-).
To fit it into conditioned taste aversion we'd have to assume that either the smell of vomit is itself a UCS for conditioned taste aversion, or that second order conditioning is involved, with the odor (of vomit) being the earlier CS for taste aversion and the smell of wood chips being a second order conditional stimulus.
Anyone know if second order classical conditioning has been demonstrated with taste aversion?
--
The best argument against Intelligent Design is that fact that people believe in it.

* PAUL K. BRANDON                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Dept               Minnesota State University  *
* 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001     ph 507-389-6217  *
*        http://www.mnsu.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html        *