Dr Jim Guinee wrote...
When I present a research study in class, I like to find something that is
methodologically sound, but tinged with controversy to see if those
polarized on the issue overlook methodological problems or skewer them.
(SNIP)

Stephen Black wrote...
Whenever I see a post like this, I can't help wondering whether it
represents a genuine request for help,  or whether it's really a
not-so-innocent attempt to publicize a study which supports a religious
agenda.

Dr Jim Guinee wrote...
P.S.  It is my non-religious belief that Stephen owes me an apology.  I get
real tired of the religious crap attacks that occur on TIPS.  That might
explain why some of the other Christians that used to be semi-prolific
posters have completely disappeared.

Nice job, Stephen et al.

Aubyn writes...
I am both a Christian and a psychologist, though not a prolific (even semi)
poster to this list. I do read the list regularly, and I do not agree with
Dr. Guinee's perception that TIPS is a place where "religious crap attacks"
occur with any noticeable frequency.

I think it is important to make this point in public because Christians have
been getting a bad rap of late because some Christians with certain kinds of
views are aggressive in pushing them, while many other Christians who do not
share those views tend to sit back and say nothing. It would be both
unfortunate and inaccurate for non-Christian psychologists on this list to
conclude that most psychologists who are also Christians agree with Dr.
Guinee.

I have greatly appreciated the responses that Stephen and others on this
thread have made - indeed I entertained a similar range of possible
explanations for Dr. Guinee's post myself. Speaking for myself, one thing
that would have helped is if Dr. Guinee had clarified his own view of the
study and pedagogical use of it. I believe a fair reading of his cryptic
introduction might suggest to some that he thinks the study in question is
well done, and that students who reject its conclusions based on their
perception of methodological flaws are just biased. OTOH, in the context of
my campus (a conservative Christian one) I would expect many students to
"overlook methodological problems" in the study precisely because they agree
with its conclusions, and the study would then provide me with a good
opportunity to point out both the flaws and their relevance and importance.
Indeed, I make use of a similar device in my own General Psychology course,
though I may switch to this one because in some ways the limitations on the
conclusion are more clear.

My point is, I think it is possible that Dr. Guinee really was leaving the
door open for the possibility of bias to lead to both overlooking or
overemphasizing the flaws in the study, while at the same time I think it is
understandable why some would read his post and think he was essentially
trolling for pro-abortion responses. The editorial we were referred to
models well how methodological limitations can be recognized without
completely discarding a study. If Dr. Guinee would consider adding a little
more clarifying material to his often interesting posts, some of this
confusion might be avoided.

While I often disagree with a lot that I read on this list (and I doubt that
religious orientation plays much of a role in that, as I suspect the same
could be said by most readers of the list) I find it to be a vibrant and
productive on-line community. Dr. Guinee of course is entitled to his own
views (even the ones I disagree with) and there are many other Christians
who side with him. But despite evidence to the contrary in the mass media,
the Christian Community is a diverse one, and there are lots of
psychologists who are Christians who disagree with him as well.

Not all important questions in life can be resolved by experimental or even
empirical data - but those of us who are psychologists have made a
commitment to submit all empirical questions about human experience to
empirical evidence, accepting the risk that the answers may conflict with
our a priori assumptions. Psychologists who are Christians are no better or
worse at keeping these commitments than anyone else.

Aubyn Fulton, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Psychology & Social Work
Pacific Union College
Angwin, CA 94508

Office: 707-965-6536
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]