Re the imputing of motivations in relation to Jim Guinee's citing the
newspaper report on abortion and health, including of the study team, no
one seems to have thought it worth noting the views of the person
described as the team leader in the report:

"Professor Fergusson, who supports unrestricted access to abortion and
describes himself as 'an atheist, a rationalist and pro-choice'...
'There'll be cheering for our results on the pro-life side and denouncing
us angrily on the pro-choice side,' said Professor Fergusson, a
psychologist and epidemiologist at the Christchurch School of Medicine and
Health Sciences. 'Neither of those positions is sound'."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/health/abortion-linked-to-mental-problems/2006/01/02/1136050394322.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

It seems evident from the response to Jim's posting that the study is
flawed and its conclusions unacceptable. (Even if that had not been the
case, one study doesn’t make a summer anyway. -:) ) But I do think some
TIPSters have been a bit hard on Jim. Very few of us (if any) don't have
views about certain topics that predispose us to look especially hard for
flaws in studies that seem to provide support for opponents of our
position, and perhaps be a little less persistent in seeking out flaws in
studies which provide support for it. Let me be the first to own up to
such a weakness. (Recognizing it in oneself is a first step – though by no
means an antidote in itself – to consciously trying to offset the
imbalance.)

On 11 June Aubyn Fulton wrote
> I believe a fair reading of his cryptic introduction might suggest
> to some that he thinks the study in question is well done, and that
> students who reject its conclusions based on their perception of
> methodological flaws are just biased.

Aubyn then goes on to say:
> OTOH, in the context of  my campus (a conservative Christian one)
> I would expect many students to "overlook methodological problems"
> in the study precisely because they agree with its conclusions, and
> the study would then provide me with a good opportunity to point out
> both the flaws and their relevance and importance.

It seems to me that another "reading" of Jim's original posting is that he
is suggesting the same thing. But we can all "read" the posting one way or
another according to our predispositions. Or maybe just take it as it is
and make comments on the report, and/or provide follow-up examinations of
the study and related material (as TIPSters indeed have done). That would
suffice to counter any perceived agenda behind Jim's posting. I don't
recall similar postings from other TIPSters (many of whom have just as
strong views on some topics as Jim presumably does on this one) being
subjected to motivational analysis in the way that his has. Even if it is
the case that there is an agenda underlying his posting (i.e., a viewpoint
about which he feels strongly), could he really be the only one to have
cited an article (or research study) in this frame of mind?

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org/