Send you something? OK :)

I am choosing not to read the csmonitor piece because I am not interested in
the legal/political/ aspects of this problem. But there are aspects of this
issue that interest me greatly. There are other examples that involve
step-parents and child abuse. The now classic Daly & Wilson Ontario research
on child abuse in the 1980s found that children raised with one step-parent
are 40X more likely to be abused compared to children raised with both
genetic parents, with SES controlled (perhaps this is an underestimate of
the effect since some % of those parents in the "two genetic parents" group
may have been fathered by another man). It has been suggested that despite
attempts to equate on SES the step-parent families are less able to hide
abuse. However, that argument can't account for the incidence of child
_killing_ shows an even stronger effect (40 - 100X more likely to be killed
with 1 stepparent). It's virtually impossible to hide bodies.

Some "primitive" societies (we can find the references with a little effort)
have traditions in which in the death of a husband/father, the women and
children are acquired by the husband's brother, keeping everything "in the
family" and protecting the woman and her children. After all, the
brother-in-law and children overlap genetically as second-order - 25%. It's
a stretch to advocate such a system today, given that it is probably easier
for a single women & children to survive today sans husband; plus the base
rate for child killing is very low (though anything >0 is too high). BUT,
perhaps we can appreciate the origins of these customs, not get too arrogant
about our own, and recognize that American-style individual freedom has
costs to others.

Given my seeming (?) unique perspective on religion, it is easy for me to
speculate on lurking (confounding) varibles in the cohabitation data.
Marriage is just a piece of paper, and two people can love each other just
as much without it as with, but marriage is social/cultural/religious, not
an individual event designed for a couple's happiness. True, a lot of people
show up for religious classes, get married and are never seen in the
community again, but in theory it is an entrance to a social network. I'd be
surprised if the social network isn't the real IV here. Social networks are
good. This is why I have never been in favor of anything other than
traditional marriages. No doubt everyone thought "gay marriages" when I said
"other than traditional" but that's may be red-state Pavlovian conditioning
at work :) Traditional means more than that.

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Director, Psychology Honors
Plymouth State University