I saved the link to the article yesterday because I wanted to search for the scientific publication. It was not quite obvious so I decided to google it. I was astounded by the very large amount of information that supports a "link" between marijuana smoking and schizophrenia.

Many of the links had really questionnable information, such as suggesting that smoking pot at age 18 predicts a diagnosis of schizophrenia in one's 30's! I am not an expert but have read in many diverse sources that schizophrenia is generally diagnosed quite a bit earlier than that--generally in the early 20's at the latest. So this was a bit puzzling.

Also, I read comments that smoking pot during late adolescence is particularly dangerous to those predisposed to schizophrenia because adolescence is the time of greatest brain cell growth. Wow, I was surpised again as this also skirts the facts as I have always known them. I thought MOST brain maturation was complete around the time of puberty. 18 would be a late puberty!

So either my facts are skewed or the authors of these papers are pushing the envelope to fish for explanations.

Anyway, still in all, the amount of separate publications in popular media is quite large, and seems to be based on a rather fair amount of separate publications in scientific journals.

Anyone with real knowledge in these areas? A little enlightenment would be good--and I have already considered the politics (i.e., wanting evidence to support anti-pot legislation).

Annette

Quoting Rick Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

And they're at it again, cause jumping from correlations. This time it seems to be that cannibis causes schizophrenia. See http://tinyurl.com/fbue5

Is it possible that a 'vulnerable person' who has not been diagnosed
with schizophrenia is already having some symptoms and that these
symptoms cause the person to be more likely to use cannabis?
Schizophrenia is known for making people feel unhappy and cannabis is
known for making people feel happy.  Also, physiology isn't my strong
point.  Are there physiological reasons to think that cannabis use
would cause a vulnerable person to succumb to schizophrenia when this
person would not otherwise have had problems?  Having a physiological
mechanism might provide support for the interpretation that cannabis
causes schizophrenia. -- -- Rick Stevens -- Psychology Department
-- University of Louisiana at Monroe
-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor of Psychology