From: Rick Froman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:37 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE: [tips] Dogs, Porcupines, and Learning theories

I was probably too general with my reference to Overmier and Seligman.
It just seems to me, in my experience with dogs, that no matter how many
times a dog might engage in a behavior followed by an aversive
consequence, it doesn't seem to decrease the frequency of engaging in
that behavior or make them act helpless. Possibly this applies
specifically to behaviors that are so intrinsically rewarding that the
aversive consequence has no impact.

Rick

Rick Froman