Interesting point, Joe.  I'd also add, regarding the aversive
consequences, two things: (1) not everything humans consider aversive
may seem so to dogs -- in the case of the dog that "caught" a skunk, do
we know the smell of the skunk's spray bothers the dog as much as it
would humans?  There are quite a few other noxious smells that, in my
experience, don't phase dogs a bit!  (2) Some of the aversive
consequences may not be immediate, and thus not recognized by the dog
as connected to the event -- in the case of the pain of having the
porcupine quills removed, I doubt most dogs would understand that pain
as a consequence of the porcupine encounter.

Finally, dogs -- like humans -- vary greatly in degree of intelligence
;-)

Take care,
Vivian Hamilton