On Jul 23, 2008, at 10:55 AM, Christopher D. Green wrote:

> Paul Brandon wrote:
>>

>> First of all, this is not an academic freedom question since he
>> was not fired because of the content of what he was teaching.
>
> This is not true. Academic freedom extends well beyond that. Please
> read the 1940 AAUP statement on academic freedom (which is widely
> considered to be the definitive statement on the topic in the US),
> esp. freedom #2, and the 1970 "Interpretive comment" #2. http://
> www.aaup.org/AAUP/pubsres/policydocs/contents/1940statement.htm

I'll cede the point on technical grounds.

>> Rather, the issue is whether he was requiring his students to know
>> (and answer test questions on) content not specified in the
>> syllabus -- a violation of the contract between the student and
>> the state.
>> If his additional material was simply and literally a supplement;
>> not adding any content not in the text, so that students could
>> pass any exam question without the use of the supplemental
>> material, then he has a case.
>> On the other hand, if he added exam questions that could not be
>> answered without the use of his supplemental material,he was in
>> violation of his contract.
>
> That might be true, but according to the story, the materials were
> intended

That is probably true.
If the intention and the fact are in agreement (as I said), then I
don't think that the instructor violated his contract, and should not
have been fired.
On the other hand, if in fact (regardless of his intention, which
would be a mitigating circumstance) he required students to be
responsible for material not stated in the syllabus, he is violating
what courts have held to be a student's legal rights.
Whether or not the students benefit from this is a different issue.
Places like Ivy Tech (the name has nothing to do with Ivy League --
it's derived from the initials IV) are more like high schools than
colleges as we know them; standard curricula is more common and
instructors have less autonomy.