Linda discussed problems with the formalizing of syllabi and texts to
produce uniformity and limit freedom.  I have been teaching AP Psychology
since
before there was an AP and, for the first time,we were required to submit
syllabi last year in order to have our courses certified as AP. The goal  was
ensure that AP courses meet acceptable standards so as to assure the  colleges
that students who score well on the exams deserve college  credit. It is
interesting, in light of the discussion, that there is no  required text and we
were
all free to organize the course as we saw fit, as long  as it was acceptable
to the reviewers, who were college teachers of Intro.  We had lots of detailed
info about how to organize our submissions and  three sample syllabi available
for guidance. Once our  syllabus was approved, we are expected to follow it
in subsequent  years, and if a new teacher is hired, that person is expected to
follow the  approved syllabus until their own is approved, but there is a
fair amount of  freedom in choice of topics and sequence and manner of
presentation.  In  fact, the exam has always assumed that no teacher will cover
every
possible  question on the exam because of the different texts and syllabi.
There
was a  possibility of multiple reviews if the syllabus was not accepted at
the first  review, but 90+% of the Psychology syllabi were accepted on the
first
review,  which is far better stats than any of the other subjects.  For any
of you  would like to know what the AP course audit asked for, go to the AP
Central  website and click on course audit.

Riki Koenigsberg
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) .

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.