Hi everyone,
I found the article rather interesting as an adjunct for the past 26 years at
many diverse schools and populations.
One time I took over the classes of an instructor who became ill. I tried to
follow the syllabus, but the students complained that I wasn't fair. All I did
was to make-up rubrics for essay questions (previously they not were used),
establish a grading scale (previously there wasn't one), and tried to enforce
what was in the syllabus. Several students said I wasn't fair for doing that.
Being an adjunct is not easy. Sometimes there is very little communication
between the adjuncts and full-time staff members. Once I wanted to use an intro
text that the full-time instructors used. I was told I could not do that
because adjuncts had to use a different text. I was told that it was decided in
a department meeting, which none of the adjuncts are invited to nor expected to
attend.
So, being an adjunct is sometimes very difficult, at best.

My 2 cents....
Jim Matiya
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Contributor, for Karen Huffman's Psychology in Action, Video Guest Lecturettes
John Wiley and Sons.

High School Psychology and Advanced Psychology Graphic Organizers,
Pacing Guides, and Daily Lesson Plans archived at www.Teaching-Point.net> Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:27:03 -0400> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
tips@acsun.frostburg.edu> Subject: [tips] Out of Work for Doing Extra Work? ::
Inside Higher Ed> > What would you do if an adjunct instructor at your school
responded to > students' complaints that the mandated textbook was unclear, by
creating > original supplementary materials to help the students understand the
> topic better? Give him a pat on the back? One Indiana college decided to >
fire him instead.> http://insidehighered.com/news/2008/07/23/ivytech> > Chris>
-- > Christopher D. Green> Department of Psychology> York University> Toronto,
ON M3J 1P3> Canada> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.yorku.ca/christo/> phone:
416-736-2100 ext. 66164> fax: 416-736-5814> > > ---> To make changes to your
subscription contact:> > Bill Southerly ([EMAIL PROTECTED])