On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:22:12 -0800, Stuart McKelvie wrote:
>Dear Tipsters,
>May I ask how Chris and others how you would react to this?

Okay.

>I recently was asked to review two papers from two different journals.
>One manuscript was anonymous and the other was not.

Which means you don't know who authored one of the papers,
consequently, you can't assert self-plagiarism.

If there are multiple authors, it is possible that one paper has one
first/senior author and the other paper has another first/senior author
though having the same authors (the order of authors is altered because
the different first authors was responsible for different data sets
and their analysis).  The "common" text might be considered "boiler
plate" and was considered to be of less importance than the results.

>The two papers presented different data but they referred to fairly
>similar research questions.
>Large chunks of the two introductions were word-for-word the same.
>Parts of the method were word-for-word the same.

In all likelihood, it comes from the same research project but
whoever has oversight failed to appreciate the duplication (i.e., the
senior researcher overseeing the project but who may not be the
first author).

>There was no clear cross-referencing for these bits of the text in the two
>manuscripts.

It is possible that (a) the use of "boilerplate" text was acceptable,
(b) readers of one journal would not read the other journal, thus no
one would detect the duplication, (c) someone meant to "revise"
the text in one of the papers but forgot to (or sent in the wrong version
of the paper), or (d) some other wacky reason (afterall, some researchers
do do some really wacky things).

>I saw this as (self-) plagiarism and expressed this view to the referees in
>very strong terms.

You're making the assumption that the anonymous paper has the same
first author (i.e., author with major writing responsibility) as the paper
with the known authorship.  I don't think this was justified.

By the way, when you say "referees", do you mean the editor(s)?

>Do you think I was wrong?

I think your assumption about self-plagiarism is wrong.  I might have
made copies of both manuscripts, highlighted the text that is common
to both, wrote a letter pointing this out, and sent this to the editors of
the two journals.  I would ask the editors to check with the authors about
what was going on.  It could be that case that the authors of one manuscript
are not aware of the existence of the other manuscript (again, some wacky
things might be going on and one can't presume to know what is going on
without additional info).

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu