Publication rules about duplication generally apply to the data and
findings reported (except for review and theoretical articles that don't
present original data).
In this case, each manuscript reported different data and different
findings. In this sense, they are independent.

Is the unique contribution of the article the findings or the literature
review supporting the question posed?

It seems a bit odd that the research questions posed in each article
were supported by identical literature reviews, since the questions were
different. I can understand some overlap, but not identical literature
reviews. Perhaps the commonalities in the introductions were overstated?

Another issue might be the chopping up of a study and piecemeal
publication of the findings to get more publication count "bang" for the
effort. Editors of journals discourage authors from chopping up work
that might be better presented as a larger manuscript. But in some
cases, questions related to different questions and audiences are
deliberately interleaved. It might be a legitimate choice to present
these finding separately. In either case, although we might object to
the practice of piecemeal publication, I don't think it is plagiarism.

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director, Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Associate Professor, Psychology
University of West Florida
Pensacola, FL  32514 - 5751

Phone:   (850) 857-6355 or  473-7435