You may well be correct -- any lawyers in the audience?

On Feb 19, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Shearon, Tim wrote:

Paul- You said: "And since plagiarism is a legal construct, does the author sue herself?"

Paul- I do not think that is correct (but would welcome correction). Plagiarism is a set of standards and agreements within a community not a set of laws protecting intellectual property. That is the issue of copyright with its own set of difficulties and dilemmas. I believe this discussion has confused plagiarism and copyright violation which is often the case- and some of that is due to confusions within the two sets of norms and very unclear boundaries. I think you were correct when you started by pointing out that violating a/the journal's publication rules wasn't the same thing as plagiarism. But I'd add, which isn't the same thing as copyright violation.
Tim
_________

Paul Brandon
Emeritus Professor of Psychology