From: Stuart McKelvie [mailto:smcke...@ubishops.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:17 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE: [tips] Can you plagiarize your own work?

Dear Tipsters,

May I ask how Chris and others how you would react to this?

I recently was asked to review two papers from two different journals. One
manuscript was anonymous and the other was not.

The two papers presented different data but they referred to fairly similar
research questions.

Large chunks of the two introductions were word-for-word the same.
Parts of the method were word-for-word the same.

There was no clear cross-referencing for these bits of the text in the two
manuscripts.

I saw this as (self-) plagiarism and expressed this view to the referees in
very strong terms.

Do you think I was wrong?

Sincerely,

Stuart

Stuart J. McKelvie, Ph.D.,           Phone: (819)822-9600, Extension 2402
Department of Psychology,              Fax: (819)822-9661
Bishop's University,
2600 College Street,
Sherbrooke (Borough of Lennoxville),
Québec J1M 1Z7,
Canada.

E-mail: smcke...@ubishops.ca
    or stuart.mckel...@ubishops.ca

Bishop's University Psychology Department Web Page:
http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy