Despoilers of the Rorschach have been on the internet for many years. E.g.

http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/rorschach.php

These folks didn't originally have all the disclaimers at the beginning of
their site that they now have.

While I fully agree with Stephen about the demonstrated lack of validity of the
Rorschach, and I have been vocal about that opinion for decades, I must tell
the following story which gives me pause.

In the early 1980's I gave a tirade against the Rorschach something like
Stephen's in a clinical case conference in a large hospital setting populated
by a fairly large number of psychodynamically oriented practitioners.
Afterwards, one of my more open-minded colleagues took me aside and informed me
of a challenge that had been put out by Lloyd Silverman (RIP, 1986), a
psychoanalyst in NYC. Silverman offered to read the Rorschach protocols of any
client of any doubting physician and return an interpretation of the test that
would be the virtual equivalent of the empirically derived MMPI results of the
same client. We simply had to pay Silverman for the interpretation (I think it
was something like $300 at the time), but he would provide a "double your money
back" garauntee regarding its match to the MMPI (he was of course blind to the
MMPI data). We decided to give him the test and provided him with a Rorschach
protocol  of a very complicated client who had a very complex set of statements
that were generated by the MMPI.

We didn't get our money back. Silverman's interpretation was very very similar
to the MMPI results and in fact his predictions regarding the course of
treatment for the client were better than those generated by the MMPI.

Now, of course this is anecdotal, but it has tempered my thinking about the
meaning of statistical tests of reliability and validity, particularly in the
face of the objections that are made (particularly by supporters of tests like
the Rorschach), that it depends upon in whose hands the test resides. It has
also tempered my thinking about the results of the empirical tests of the
efficacy of certain therapies when the execution of the therapies is
handbook/template driven rather than executed by unrestrained artistic
virtuosos of the type of therapy being examined.

I know this kind of talk is the kind of maddening dismissals of science
expressed by people who divine for water and help the police with psychic
powers, but Silverman's performance impressed me. It is said that he never
(perhaps rarely) had to pay on his Rorschach challenge.

Bill Scott

>>> <sbl...@ubishops.ca> 07/28/09 11:34 PM >>>
Big brouhaha over the posting of Rorschach plates plus common responses
to them on Wikipedia,  the ethics of doing this, whether it ruins the
scientific usefulness of the test, makes them meaningless, etc.  You can
read all about it in the New York Times at  http://tinyurl.com/lblelt
("Has Wikipedia Created a Rorschach Cheat Sheet?"--Noam Cohen)

But in all the anguish over this issue, no one seems to have asked "What
scientific usefulness?" Or "How can something that is already meaningless
be made more so by public disclosure?

The fact is that the Rorschach is not science but pseudoscience and
please, don't tell me about the Exner system. Our clever former fellow
TIPSter, Scott Lilienfeld and his colleagues settled this back in 2000.
Their language was cautious, but the message was clear: this is not
science but junk. But unfortunately, pseudoscience never dies, and so the
Rorschach is with us still. And still causing more damage (e.g. in child
custody cases) than I'd care to contemplate.

But no one who thinks psychology is a science should care a fig whether
its plates and responses are public or not.

Stephen

The Scientific Status of Projective Techniques
Psychological Science in the Public Interest
Volume 1, Issue 2, Date: November 2000, Pages: 27-66
Scott O. Lilienfeld, James M. Wood, Howard N. Garb

Free at http://tinyurl.com/l4cud5

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/