Martin Bolt gave me permission, and I'll give David Anderson credit as well,
to cite the list for all.  Here it is:
"David Anderson describes a classroom exercise that will effectively
demonstrate that science is equipped to answer some questions but not
others.  Science is not the only way to approach life.  To help students
understand where science fits into the larger picture, place the following
series of statements on the chalkboard before class begins.

1.  God is dead.
2.  The best things in life are free.
3.  Shakespeare's *Richard III* is a better play than *Romeo and Juliet.*
4.  Abortion is wrong.
5.  There is a genetic predisposition to schizophrenia.
6.  The mind is just like a computer.
7.  Attitudes affect cancer.
8.  Pornography is harmful.
9.  2+2=4.

Ask students how they would establish the validity of each statement.  To
get them thinking, ask them about the courses they have had that might have
addressed these issues.  Who on the faculty might be interested in these
issues, or which department might discuss them?  Clearly, there is more than
one approach to "truth."  Note that each perspective has its questions and
limits.  Conclude that the various disciplines and perspectives need not be
viewed as competing but as complementary.

Anderson, D. (1997, January).  First day:  Experimental psychology.
 Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS - Online Discussion Group)."

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University
New Hampshire