Hi

I tend to keep the discussion pretty focused on the empirical questions implied
by the paper (are Black kids less likely than White kids to throw temper
tantrums, do Black parents use spanking more, are kids who are spanked [black
or white] less likely to throw temper tantrums) and on what research would be
necessary to answer these questions (emphasizing distinction between
non-experimental and experimental studies [surveys, parent training studies]
and strength of causal conclusions).  I do NOT try to give answers to these
questions.

Most of my actual lectures are on the standard classification of parenting
styles.  I could (and probably should) do a lot more with questions like
cultural differences in use of spanking (corporal punishment) beyond Black
parents, and look more intensively at literature mentioned by Beth.  I do
mention faith-based groups (e.g., in Ontario a few years ago) who threaten to
leave the country when Child and Family services intends to interfere with
parental use of spanking), but not enough on other cultural groups.  I also
cite examples of corporal punishment I've witnessed in Greece (my wife is
Greek), even in parents of my or later generations.

The class tends to be pretty multi-ethnic, largely due to large-scale Canadian
immigration for some time now, and that has generally produced some differences
in other sorts of experiences (direct or vicarious).  For example, pretty much
every year I have several students who know of people in arranged marriages
(often their parents).  Similar style of discussion (i.e., familiarity with
rather than personal experience) might work well for use of corporal punishment.

I'm also old enough to have personal knowledge of spanking in the home and at
school, and don't have any "gut" aversion to it as opposed to a more
intellectual one.  Although it is shocking to see parents behave that way in
public (e.g., in Greece).

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

Department of Psychology
University of Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3B 2E9
CANADA

>>> Beth Benoit <beth.ben...@gmail.com> 31-Aug-09 1:43 PM >>>
What an interesting article, Jim.  It agrees with developmental findings
that I've read about African-American attitudes toward parenting, but
honestly, I've hesitated to discuss this in class.  I have very few black
students, and worry that if I interjected this, it could be oversimplified
and misconstrued.  I'd be very interested if you'd share a little of what
your students think about the article.
Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University