Michael Sylvester said he is tired of the demand for references. lol

Well that's not likely to change, but I agree that you have a point.

Generally someone makes a point and provides a reference and the point
tends to be considered proven and true.
Of course the public position of almost everyone is that they don't
accept the point as proven and true. But, rather, the point is neither
accepted nor denied for now.  And everyone will of course claim that
they will check out the reference(s) -- as if that is very likely.

Or even if they do get around to checking out a reference (again I
think pretty unlikely unless they have a specific use for it), how
many will thoroughly read and study it to find if the point made is
justified?

How many (much fewer to almost non-existent I think) will then go on
to seek out conflicting opinions and references (and again thoroughly
study those) when they already have a bias that the point is true (the
example here that spanking is not effective and is indeed harmful, as
all the academics know).

The inclusion of a reference or two which "settles it" can be a kind
of reference to authority. Again though, many will say, yes--but a
reliable authority. But again, people can't know this unless they
thoroughly read and study the relevant papers (and of course the
opposing papers)--which is unlikely to happen.

--Mike