I've never been to Tartu, but have been to Tallinn, Estonia on a day trip
across the Gulf of Finland, from Helsinki.  A very interesting place, trying
mightily to recover from the ravages of having been under Soviet domination
for decades.
The Wikipedia site for Tartu looks particularly well done, and gives a great
deal of information about the town and university's history.
Good luck!  I'd love to go back again.  And incidentally, Helsinki is one of
my favorite cities in the world.

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University