----- Original Message -----
  From: Don Allen
  To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
  Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:31 PM
  Subject: Re: [tips] Estonia

  Would you like to explain why Latino/a Americans aren't "real Americans"?
while you're at it please extend the arguement to Chinese- Americans,
Korean-Americans, etc. In an effort to avoid being euro-centric please tell us
all the percentage of "African-Americans" who fluently speak one of the many
African languages as well as speak English.

  Send us all something.

  -Don.

   First of all,no where in my post did I state hat hyphenated-Americans were
not real Americans,It will be naive  to think
  that all korean-Americans speak Korean or German-Americans speak German or
Polish-Americans speak Polish.
  Maybe first generation immigrants do  but the second and third generations
may know little of the languages of their
  parents and grandparents.Certainly immigration and naturalization have
diversified the amount of languages spoken in the United States but none remain
as statistically significant as the use of English.I remembered visiting back
in the 1960s a  Polish college called Alliance College in Cambridge Springs,Pa
where instructions were also in Polish,but that was rare.It is my understanding
tha Alliance has been converted to a State penitentiary.
  Languages spoken in the U.S probably has to do with a cross-cultural
adjustmant strategies of assimilation,integration,marginalization,and
separation.
  PLease note that African-American is not a linguistic category,but refers to
a racial and ethnic group.There is the case of a white dude from South Africa
who became a naturalized U.S citizen.He tried to seek some aid from a university
  based on the fact that he was African-American,His argument did not fly and
made many U.S born  blacks angry at him.
  The U.S defines African-American by the "one drop"rule..The "one drop" rule
states that anyone whose geneology
  vontains one African canncestor is black. Race is defined here by biological
descent.In the Americas ,however 'race is defined
  by  physiological appearances,hence the 'social race" idea in the Americas.
  Let me advise you not to travel to  South America and refer to
Venezuelans,Colombians,Ecuadorians as Americans.
  Btw,when we sing "God bless America",are we also referring toCanada,Central
America,and South America?
  Send me and Stephen Black something.

  Michael sylvester,PhD
  DAytona Beach,Florida