John - I suspect the answer is largely benign...we are all educators and find
it difficult to resist the urge/temptation to set someone straight.  This is by
itself an admirable impulse, and it stems largely from our desire to influence
others in a positive direction.  But as my one of Ph.D. mentors Paul Meehl
liked to say, "Sometimes one has to figure out whether someone is educable. If
he or she isn't, it's not worth spending time on them."

     I don't know the person in question, so I don't know whether he is
educable. But it does seem to me that he is not interested in curbing his
behavior or trying to make a good faith effort to do so.  If I saw such a good
faith effort, I might well feel differently.  ....Scott

Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
Professor
Editor, Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice
Department of Psychology, Room 473 Psychology and Interdisciplinary Sciences
(PAIS)
Emory University
36 Eagle Row
Atlanta, Georgia 30322
slil...@emory.edu
(404) 727-1125

Psychology Today Blog:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-skeptical-psychologist

50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology:
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-140513111X.html

Scientific American Mind: Facts and Fictions in Mental Health Column:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/sciammind/

The Master in the Art of Living makes little distinction between his work and
his play,
his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his
recreation,
his love and his intellectual passions.  He hardly knows which is which.
He simply pursues his vision of excellence in whatever he does,
leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing.
To him – he is always doing both.

- Zen Buddhist text
  (slightly modified)