I said, deploring a news article on the dangers of pot for
teenage brains from a report which failed to mention that the
research was on rats:

>     Why they did it is obvious. Studies demonstrating the dangers of
>     cannabis for teenagers are sexy; such studies for rats, not so
>     much. If you want publicity, you go with what is sexy, and hide
>     what can impair it. It's also wrong.

Chris Green replied:

> What is it that surprises you about this Stephen?

Nothing. As I said, why they did is obvious. I was deploring it.

> Surely it became clear to you long ago that journalists are not
> scientists

Some are both. Not all are shameless hacks intent on
sensationalism. Some write excellent and intellectually honest
accounts. As you note, there are good science journalists.

What I was bemoaning was not that a journalist tried to foist this
crap on us, but that it came straight from the press release of
the McGill University Public Relations and Communication
Office. Here's what I said:

"It's not  the fault of the science daily journalist, though, because
this egregious misinformation is present in the original press
release from McGill University. Shame, McGill!
http://muhc.ca/newsroom/news/cannabis-and-adolescence-
dangerous-cocktail or http://tinyurl.com/yhyedn5

Interestingly, I just checked the news report on this as it
appeared in our major local paper, the Montreal Gazette, and I
see that the reporter showed some initiative in restoring the
missing information about it being a rat study (at
http://tinyurl.com/yjzh4uh). The reporter also elicited this gem
from the senior investigator, "Although the research was carried
out on laboratory rats, Gobbi said, one can assume the same
effects on the human brain."  Did she say that with a straight
face?

I liked some of the comments, particularly this one from Logic
Barbeque: " "Just because marijuana is a plant doesn't mean it's
harmless.'"  What, really?  And here I thought poisonous
mushrooms couldn't hurt you."

"Gazette: your headline should read "Toking teen rats risk brain
damage".  Please correct it.  Thanks!"

And this one, from ER Doctor: "This "research" was done in rats
with WIN55,212-2, a very powerful synthetic full cannabinoid
agonist. It cannot be cavalierly extrapolated to say anything
concrete about adolescent human use of cannabis, a weak
partial cannabinoid agonist agent."

> There's nothing surprisingly
> egregious about this particular article, is there?

Yes. I've never seen a university press release, which should
have been vetted by the authors and presumably ran with their
approval, hide the fact that the research was in animals.

That's disturbing, and well worth fulminating over. Or maybe I'm
just excitable.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University