sbl...@ubishops.ca wrote:
>> There's nothing surprisingly
>> egregious about this particular article, is there?
>>

> Yes. I've never seen a university press release, which should
> have been vetted by the authors and presumably ran with their
> approval, hide the fact that the research was in animals.

I'm still surprised. Without actually going back a checking press
releases, I can recall the case of the "moderate drinking causes breast
cancer" announcement in Britain earlier this year, in which it seemed
pretty clear that the scientists had sexed it up for the university
press team, who had then re-sexed it up for the new media, who had then
re-re-sexed it up for public (when in fact the actual increase in the
breast cancer rate was something like 2 in 10,000, and there was little
reason to believe that alcohol, rather than the billion or so things
correlated with increased alcohol consumption, was responsible even for
this tiny increase).

Sorry to be so blase about the whole thing, but far from being unusual,
it is endemic

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green