���On 28 Dec 2009 Chris Green wrote:
>There's nothing surprisingly egregious about this particular
>article, is there?

>I've never seen a university press release, which should
>have been vetted by the authors and presumably ran with
>their approval, hide the fact that the research was in animals.

Chris Green responded:
>I'm still surprised. Without actually going back a checking press
>releases, I can recall the case of the "moderate drinking causes
>breast cancer" announcement in Britain earlier this year, in which
>it seemed pretty clear that the scientists had sexed it up for the
>university press team, who had then re-sexed it up for the new
>media, who had then re-re-sexed it up for public (when in fact
>the actual increase in the breast cancer rate was something like
>2 in 10,000, and there was little reason to believe that alcohol,
>rather than the billion or so things correlated with increased
>alcohol consumption, was responsible even for this tiny increase).

Let's all agree that there is much dismal reporting of scientific
findings (especially in the field of health) in the media. But Chris's
response to Stephen does not directly answer his challenge. Moreover
his supposedly "just as bad" example turns out, on investigation, not
to live up to Chris's assertions (at least as far as the British press
is concerned).

I though it might be interesting to investigate the specific example
Chris gives concerning the study which was reported as saying that
moderate drinking increases the risk of (not "causes") breast cancer.
My conclusion, at least in relation to the British press, is that the
reporting was nowhere near as bad as Chris asserts, and that he
understates the claimed increase of breast cancer rate for moderate
drinking by a factor of about 5.

First the study by the University of Oxford's Cancer Epidemiology Unit:
"Moderate Alcohol Intake and Cancer Incidence in Women", Allen N. E. et
al, : Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Volume 101, Number 5, 4
March 2009 , pp. 296-305(10). From the Abstract's "Conclusion"
(relating to alcohol):
"Low to moderate alcohol consumption in women increases the risk of
certain cancers. For every additional drink regularly consumed per day,
the increase in incidence up to age 75 years per 1000 for women in
developed countries is estimated to be about 11 for breast cancer…"
http://tinyurl.com/yc6esev

What is evidently the University press release is on the BMJ Evidence
Centre:
http://tinyurl.com/yjeq7hm

The first Guardian report (24 Feb 2009) is a reprinting of the press
release:
http://tinyurl.com/bmveew

I could find surprisingly few reports from the British press on this
study. A later article in the Guardian (http://tinyurl.com/d8hu7v) and
the report of the study in The Times did not go beyond anything stated
in the press release (in other words, they were not in the least "sexed
up"). Moreover the Times report carried some caveats:

"The study, being conducted by the University of Oxford's highly
respected Cancer Epidemiology Unit, isn't without its limitations.
Strictly speaking, its findings apply only to middle-aged women.
Certain types of people might also be more likely to volunteer for such
studies, which might make the sample unrepresentative. Since most of
the information is “self-reported” rather than collected objectively,
can we really believe what people say about themselves? Critics point
out that women embarrassed about their alcohol consumption are likely
to write down that they are drinking significantly less than they
really are.

"And could the rise in cancers among women who drink be attributable
not to alcohol itself but some other characteristic associated with
people who drink, that they generally live less healthy lives than
non-drinkers for example? It's possible, but the researchers have
statistically weighted their findings to take account of such possible
confounding factors…."
http://tinyurl.com/c3sk25

(N.B. The NHS report on the study also included similar caveats:
http://tinyurl.com/cqsxbf)

There were shorter reports in Daily Telegraph and the Daily Express,
neither of which went beyond the statements made in the press release:
http://tinyurl.com/yegxknx and http://tinyurl.com/y8g5lk3

So let's see how Chris's assertions stack up:
>…the scientists had sexed it up for the university press team,
> who had then re-sexed it up for the new media, who had then
> re-re-sexed it up for public…

Judging from the Abstract of the paper, I see no evidence that the
University press release sexed up the study (it helpfully provides
statistics from which one can judge the general statistical claims),
nor that the reports in the British press sexed up the press release.

Chris again:
>when in fact the actual increase in the breast cancer rate was
>something like 2 in 10,000,

By my reckoning it was actually around 1 in 1000. Here are the
statistics:
http://tinyurl.com/yjeq7hm

"The risk was most increased for breast cancer. In developed countries
like the UK, the chance of having had breast cancer by the age of 75 is
9.5 in 100. According to the study, for every extra daily unit of
alcohol (over 2 a week), that risk increases by 1.1 per 100. So if you
had a roughly 9.5 percent chance of getting breast cancer by the age of
75, but you drank one glass of wine a day, that risk would go up to
10.6 percent. If you drank two glasses of wine a day, that would
increase to 11.7 percent."

My calculation gives:
Chance of getting breast cancer up to age 75 is approximately 1 in 10
Moderate drinking gives 1% increase, i.e., 1% of 10% = 0.1% increase =
This is considerably higher than Chris's 2 in 10,000.

N.B. The BBC News online report seems to give a much higher rate than
this, which I (slightly) paraphrase as follows:

"The rates for individual cancers varied, with one drink a day causing
a 12% rise in the risk of breast cancer… On a population scale, this
would mean 11 extra cases of breast cancer diagnosed for every 1,000
women…"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7906355.stm

Can any TIPSters check out the BBC report to help me reconcile this
latter statement with my conclusion of a 1 in 1000 increase?

Chris adds:
>and there was little reason to believe that alcohol, rather than
>the billion or so things correlated with increased alcohol consumption,
>was responsible even for this tiny increase.

As the NHS report indicates, the researchers did allow for some
possible confounding factors. Of course this kind of problem applies to
all epidemiological studies, but I think it would be more fruitful if
Chris were to suggest some other possible confounding factors rather
than indulging in unspecific hyperbole.

Conclusion: Chris's assertions about the reporting of the study in
question (at least as far as the British press is concerned) are
considerable overstatements. The reports in question are not at all
comparable to the one cited by Stephen.

Just one final point. No TIPSter is likely to dispute that there is
frequently poor reporting of health studies in the press (though this
may be exaggerated by highlighting the worst reports and ignoring the
more responsible ones), but to be fair to the journalists in regard to
one highly relevant issue, they are not alone in frequently failing to
grasp the significance of statistics. Questioning of doctors in recent
years reveals that a goodly proportion are far from adept at making
sense of health statistics, for instance on the question of false
positives and false negatives in screening tests.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org

>>egregious about this particular article, is there?

>Yes. I've never seen a university press release, which should
>have been vetted by the authors and presumably ran with their
>approval, hide the fact that the research was in animals.

I'm still surprised. Without actually going back a checking press
releases, I can recall the case of the "moderate drinking causes breast
cancer" announcement in Britain earlier this year, in which it seemed
pretty clear that the scientists had sexed it up for the university
press team, who had then re-sexed it up for the new media, who had then
re-re-sexed it up for public (when in fact the actual increase in the
breast cancer rate was something like 2 in 10,000, and there was little
reason to believe that alcohol, rather than the billion or so things
correlated with increased alcohol consumption, was responsible even for
this tiny increase).

Sorry to be so blase about the whole thing, but far from being unusual,
it is endemic

Chris
--
Christopher D. Green