Lynne wrote:

> I am not sure why you say to Steven not to consider
> Fielding.  Fielding is fully accredited by the APA as
> well as regionally.  75% of our grads, including
> myself passed the licensing boards and many of us did
> an outstanding job.
>
> I am a project director for Fielding right now
> teaching technology, statistics and research. My
> statistics class which is online, interactive and very
> hard was applauded by a WASC demonstration this past
> spring.
>
> So, if you can tell me why you felt that this
> psychologist should not inquire about Fielding, it
> would be helpful for me.
>
> Also, please note that Fielding has a Neuropsychology
> program which has professors of top notch status and
> we are in partnership with the Prescribing
> psychologist registry as well.
>
> Please respond with your comments.

        There were two reasons, Lynne--and neither is based on personal
experience:

        1. When seeking a program for my own doctoral work, I discussed the
alternative programs available with a number of people at various academic
institutions (both teachers and administrators), and they rated Walden at
the very bottom (by a wide margin), Saybrook higher, Felding above that,
and Union Institute as ahead of the rest (The Union Institute is--to my
knowledge--the only one of the group that made the annual top 100 colleges
listings--please correct me if I'm wrong about Felding in that regard). I
took them at their word.

        2. Unlike The Union Institute, my understanding of Felding is that it is
both very structured and requires a fairly intensive on-site time
commitment (again, not personal experience), which was one area the
original poster specifically indicated he wished to avoid. While The Union
Institute _does_ require certain on-ground (versus distance) activities,
it minimizes their impact through both a wide range of seminar sites
Internationally and the ability to schedule your on-ground participation
to meet your personal needs.

        If I gave the impression that Felding was an unacceptable institution,
you have my apology--it was unintentional. Since the original message
clearly stated that Felding was fully accredited, I took it as given that
everyone would understand that it met the academic requirements of both
the accrediting agency and (as it offers clinical training) the state
licensing agency. My response was based, as I pointed out, on personal
feedback I received and on the specific stated needs of the original
poster.

        Hope that clarifies it,

        Rick
--

Rick Adams
Department of Social Sciences

"... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds
will be the love you leave behind when you're gone."

Fred Small, J.D., "Everything Possible"