Hi Y'all,

Rick Adams wrote:

>         It's a student resource that doesn't violate the rights of anyone. A good
> teacher should have no fear of being publicly evaluated--and a poor
> teacher _should_ have his/her lack of skill exposed to other students.

I think the objection originally raised is related to your first sentence.  That it
is a "resource that doesn't violate the rights of anyone".

The issue is not whether folks are concerned about public evaluation (although there
may be some legal concerns in regards to this as well).  Rather, the concern is that
it is an anonymous, unmonitored, free-for-all web site.  Thus, if anyone dislikes me
on Tips, I've alienated my neighbors, anyone wants to target me for my Holocaust
research, if they are anti-Semitic (fit your group classification here), I fail
someone's child, etc. etc. etc., they can go on-line and have a mechanism to attack
your professional work and credibility.

>         Posting false or misleading evaluations of teachers is no different than
> it would be for a commercial firm to post false or misleading reviews of
> their competitors products. If a teacher's skills can't stand the light of
> open discussion, s/he has no business in the classroom.

This would be like saying if the commercial firm can not stand up to false and
misleading information posted on the web about their product, then they have no
business being in business.  I don't believe we are discussing a constructive
resource or open discussion.  Tommy Hilfiger spent millions fighting the false rumor
that was posted about him and his business on the web.  I certainly don't have that
kind of change sitting around and would find it difficult to ward off damage
resulting from false and misleading information potentially posted about me on this
sort of a web site.  While, I'm not too worried, this problem could be most damaging
to newer faculty and researchers.

It looks to me like this site represents the Star or Globe version of university
information.

Warm regards,

linda

--
linda m. woolf, ph.d.
associate professor - psychology

main web page: http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/
Holocaust and Genocide studies pages: http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/holocaust.html

women's pages: http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/women.html
gerontology pages:  http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/gero.html

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's (and woman's) best friend. . . .
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
                  -             Groucho Marx