Mike wrote:

> Rick, there is a difference between slander and evaluation.

        Mike, I agree with you and Linda that there is potential there for an
instructor's reputation to be damaged by the "evaluations."

        At that same time, as you yourself point out, that same potential exists
with the traditional evaluation process that most of us undergo at our
institutions--usually with far more serious consequences for us since
_those_ "evaluations" are read by the administration of our institutions
and contribute to their decisions with respect to contract renewals,
tenure, etc. while on-line evaluations affect, at worst, only other
students (can you imagine an administrator trying to justify a contract
decision by stating s/he read a negative evaluation on an anonymous web
site?).

        On the other hand, the fact that something _could_ have a negative
consequence for us doesn't justify the kind of response my message was
replying to. That response was not to contact the Webmaster at the site
and make a request that some form of control be placed on the evaluation
process (i.e., that students at the least demonstrate--via their email
address, etc.--that they even _attend_ the college where they are rating
the instructor; that the provide the term & year the course was taken in
the evaluation; that they provide their own final grade; that they provide
their actual identity privately [providing their name publicly _would_
offer a potential risk--but if it is provided privately, a slandered
instructor would have a way of identifying the person who slandered
him/her]; that _instructors_ who are evaluated be given space to reply to
the evaluation directly, etc.). Instead, that response was to suggest that
_instructors_ trash the site by posting phoney evaluations, etc. From the