Michael Sylvester wrote:

> Periodically, in my Human Growth and Dev class,we discuss discipline
>and its impact on lifespan development. And inevitably,my students tend to
>agree that psychology's negative and unfavorable attitude towards
>punishment,spanking and rigid discipline of children may be one of the
>reasons that some of our youth have grown problematical in behavior
>and social civility.
>It would appear that writings of the baby doc (Benjamin Spock),BF sKinner,
>AS Neil (the dude that wrote Summerhill) and other Developmental
>authors have taken a negative attitude towards parents getting the belt
>and spanking that child for inappropriate behavior.
>They seem to leave the impression that forms of impactful discipline would
>invite disaster in later life.But where is the evidence?
>Is this type of perpspective making parents feel guilty and hence avoiding
>a well deserved licking(spanking) on the kid?
>It would seem that a behavioral history of non-spanking could be setting
> the stage for future inappropriate behaviors to be viewed as not
>producing any serious consequence, and this seems to be particularly so
>for juveniles who have been conditioned to think that they could get away
>with it.
>We should also be aware that the authoritarian way of parenting works very
>well in the non-Eurocentric world and so does discipline,spanking,and a
>good licking.
>Is this the 'mea culpa' for modern day(Eurocentric)psychology?
>
>Michael Sylvester
>Daytona Beach,Florida

Evidence and discussion on this topic isn't hard to find. Some "dudes" (I suppose like that "dude that wrote Summerhill" or maybe that Skinner "dude" who Eurocentrically wrote "Beyond Freedom and Dignity") and maybe even "dudettes" (?!) have argued strongly--with supporting evidence--that corporal punishment is associated with long-term problems in children. Others have argued that even corporal punishment, if used judiciously, isn't inherently harmful. I've listed below a selection of articles that you might want to consult, which represent both perspectives and discuss a number of the issues relevant to the question. (And some of them even present evidence!)

It does strike me, however, that there is basic confusion shown by this question between "discipline" and "corporal punishment." Discipline can be provided through a variety of means other than physical punishment. I can discipline my 6 year old daughter without having to "[get] the belt and spanking [her] for inappropriate behavior." Consider the alternatives to corporal punishment, including such things as time out, extinction procedures, and reinforcement schedules (e.g., DRO). Lack of discipline may lead to the sorts of social problems mentioned above, but that doesn't mean that a lack of "corporal punishment" does.

Finally, Michael asks for evidence that coporal punishment is harmful, but in the next-to-last sentence suggests "that the authoritarian way of parenting works very well in the non-Eurocentric world and so does discipline,spanking,and a good licking." Where's the evidence, Michael? What does it mean to say that "it works very well"? What are the costs involved in achieving whatever success you are referring to?

Not believing that I got sucked into replying to one of M. Sylvester's queries,

Bob

****************
Selected articles on this topic:

Carey, T. A. (1994). Spare the rod and spoil the child. Is this a sensible justification for the use of punishment in child rearing? Child Abuse and Neglect, 18, 12, 1005-1010.

Flynn, C. P. (1996). Normative support for corporal punishment: Attitudes, correlates, and implications. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 1,, 1, 47-55.

Hemenway, D., Solnick, S., & Carter, J. (1994). Child-rearing violence. Child Abuse and Neglect, 18, 12, 1011-1020.

Whipple, E. E., &, Richey, C. A. (1997). Crossing the line from physical discipline to child abuse: How much is too much? Child Abuse and Neglect, 21, 5, 431-444.

Socolar, R. R. S. (1997). A classification scheme for discipline: Type, mode of administration, context. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 2, 4, 355-364.

McCord, J. (1997). Discipline and the use of sanctions. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 2, 4, 313-319.

Straus, M. A. (1991). Discipline and deviance: Physical punishment of children and violence and other crime in adulthood. Social Problems, 38, 2, 134-144. [Reprinted from Taking SidesŠ]

Baunrind, D. (1996). The discipline controversy revisited. Family Relations, 45, 405-414.

Wells, K. C. (1997). The death of discipline: Is the requiem premature? Aggression and Violent Behavior, 2, 4, 337-341.
Robert T. Herdegen III
Department of Psychology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943