Michael Sylvester wrote:

>    The evidence may not be an article and just because it is
> not published does not mean that it does not exist.

        In other words, heresay and anecdotal evidence is as good as research
findings, and if the two are in conflict we should listen to the heresay?

        You teach this to your _students_?

> Why don't you try this:
> do a survey of all international students,

        Who, of course, will represent the "typical" member of a given culture,
right?

        A somewhat "non-random" sample aren't they.

> immigrants in your
> area and ask them how is discipline instilled in children in
> their homelands, you will inevitably find a great percentage
> saying that they were corporally punished not only by parents
> but also by teachers.

        So?

        Ask any battered kid if s/he received coporal punishment at home and
you'll find it to be the case there as well. Does that mean that because
many abused kids turn out well, they are "proof" we should beat our
children?

        BTW: If their homelands had such fantastic methods of shaping the ideal
society--why did they immigrate in the first place?

> And ask them why do they think that some teens in the U.S are
> disrespectful of society and adults and they are likely to attribute
> this to a lack of physical punishment on teens in the U.S.

        And, of course, because they are not Eurocentric, they know better how we
should shape our society, right?

        Ask a fundamentalist and they will tell you it is because we've "turned
our back on God."

        Ask a racist and they will tell you it is because we've "let the blacks
take over the country."

        Ask a conservative and they will tell you it is because it is because
we've "created a welfare culture."

        Ask a homophobe and they will tell you it is because we've "let the
queers take over our country."

        By your standard, above, ALL these answers are equally valid.

        Again; do you _actually_ teach this kind of "proofs" to your students?

> Was not there a guy who got cained in Singapore for writing graffiti
> on the walls?

        No there wasn't.

        He was caned for spraypainting graffiti on a number of luxury
automobiles.

        You can also be fined $500 there for chewing gum in public, whipped for
criticizing the government, caned for engaging in premarital sex, and
publicly executed for possession of a single marijuana cigarette.

        Those kinds of draconian punishments may sound appealing to you, they
don't to me.

> Re time-out: not appropriate in East Timorese society.

        Cute.

        Beheadings (a la Iran): Not appropriate for US society.

        If you can't accept research findings as more relevant than anecdotal
evidence, Michael, you really have no business teaching impressionable
students.

        Rick
--

Rick Adams
Department of Social Sciences

"... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds
will be the love you leave behind when you're gone."

Fred Small, J.D., "Everything Possible"