My vote is also for classical conditioning.  What if we think of this
example considering the temporal element?  The whistle and bird seed are
"presented" at the same time THEN the birds flock.  In operant conditioning
the reinforcer (consequence) should follow the behaviour.  So, if this is
an example of operant conditioning:  the whistle is the discriminative
stimulus which "signals" that flocking (the behaviour) will be reinforced
(with presentation of bird seed).  The problem is that the reinforcer (bird
seed) precedes the behaviour of flocking to the field (as the example was
initially presented).
Any comments?

Shannon Gadbois

Shannon Gadbois, M.Ed., Ph.D.