At 03:13 PM 11/17/1999 -0800, Annette Taylor wrote:
>Over a week ago I posed the question and got no response:
>this is a question from a student:
>Do we think all the time that we are awake?

I would say that it depends. What do you mean by "think"?

>Now the APA style question--this is a matter of some controversy
>students the other faculty member insists it means centered
{snip}
>top to bottom and right to left.

Okay, I admit to not having my APA manual in hand (it's in the office) but
I do have my copy of the research methods text I use (Bordens & Abbott, 4th
ed.) In chapter 13 on page 388 they state "Place the title near the top of
the title page and center it between the left and right margins." This
seems to go with what I remember of 4th edition format. The text refers to
pages 248-250 of the publication manual for more information.

Originally I started to comment on changes between 3rd and 4th editions
that went unnoticed being a possible explanation, but having read the
comments of others I'm guessing that it is a flaw in the textbook. Of
course, it could explain where you might have seen/heard the "near the top"
part.

Hope this helps...
- Marc

G. Marc Turner, MEd