Jim Clark wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Paul C. Smith wrote:
> > (anecdotal non-response)
> >     I started dressing nicely for work a few weeks ago.
> >Believe it or not, within two weeks of doing so, one of the deans asked
me to
> >be the faculty advisor for the College Republicans...
>
> Continuing with the non-response ... is this anecdote meant to
> persuade or dissuade one from this practice?

        Dissuade. It was a strong reminder of why I'd stuck with jeans for so many
years.  :)

        The "rest of the story" is that I said "yes" because they were desperate,
but they managed to find a more likely candidate a week later, and switched
over before I had to do any serious tightrope walking (I'd be willing to
sponsor a student group, but I won't do anything that helps their party, so
it would have been pretty hard).

Paul Smith
Alverno College
Milwaukee