I missed the fist part on Mother Theresa. I'm not an expert on her "charity" work, but I do know one thing about her and her "work." She was not a social worker, and to judge her by traditional social work standards is missing the point. (When she was alive) if you showed up on her doorstep asking to join because you felt sorry for the poor and wanted to help others - you woudn't be let in. She was working on herself mostly. It's a very old concept of helping others and yourself at the same time - and for they can't be separated. In social work, we (the priviliged) try to save them (the unpriviliged). That's my limited understanding of the difference. btw I put charity and work in "" not as criticism, rather that the use of these words is slightly inappropriate in the context of the sentence.

"Keefer, Robert P." wrote:

Try this link for more back and forth on Mother Teresa:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/judith_hayes/happy_heretic/1998/march.html

John W. Kulig                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology             http://oz.plymouth.edu/~kulig
Plymouth State College               tel: (603) 535-2468
Plymouth NH USA 03264                fax: (603) 535-2412
"What a man often sees he does not wonder at, although he knows
not why it happens; if something occurs which he has not seen before,
he thinks it is a marvel" - Cicero.