Hi Y'all,

Paul did a great job with his discussion of Judaic theology what I would
probably refer to as Judaic law.

Paul Brandon wrote:

> I'm not aware of any such category as "ceremonial laws" in Judaism.

There are laws which are specifically for the Kohanim (Priests) in
regards to running the temple.  However, these are not the laws to which
Jim Guinee was referring. These are indeed Mitzvot or commandments
designed for everyone as Paul (Brandon not the apostle) states.  Note
that Jewish laws have been reintepreted and revised in the Talmud and
subsequent decisions of Jewish Beit Din (courts). Thus, like the
constitution of the United States, the Torah is a living document. A
simple reading and dogmatic approach to each of these Mitzvot is not
possible and in part explains why there are different approaches and
branches of Judaism.

> There are (I believe) 614 of them in the Torah

There are 613 but variations as to what makes up the definitive 613.

> The only broad distinction of which I am aware is between obligations to
> G_d and obligations to other people.

Also, there are positive Mitzvot (things you should do) and negative
Mitzvot (things you shouldn't do).

> Again, there's nothing 'ceremonial' about not eating milk with meat.
> The original statement in the Torah from which it is derived is "Thou shalt
> not cook the kid in its mother's milk".  Sounds like a moral statement to
> me!

While a number of the Mizvot seem to have no logic behind them, the
prohibition against the above is speculated as follows - It would be too
cruel for the mother to endure having their young killed in front of
them (something else you are not to do) and then to have them play a
role in their young's death. There are a number of Mitzvot concerning
animals which are based in kindness.

> I don't recall the derivation of the other laws of Kashrut ('keeping
> kosher'), or of mixing natural fibers in garments (my Bar Mitzvah -- Son of
> the Commandments -- was quite a few years ago) but I believe that they are
> similar.

Most of the laws regarding Kashrut are not based in any sort of
morality, ritual cleanliness, or logic.  They simply exist and their
rationale remains debated as no rationale is provided. Many of these
laws have been expanded so as to "build a fence around the Torah".   For
example, if the speed limit were 70, we might post signs saying 55 to
try to prevent anyone from accidentally breaking the actual law.

Warm regards,

Linda

P.S. And for the Dr. Laura "fans":

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I
have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge
with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the
homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus
18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need
some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and
how to best follow them.

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They
claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus
21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for
her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how
do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around
us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not
Canadians. Can you clarify?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2
clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill
him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.
I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a
defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear prescription glasses.
Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you
can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal
and unchanging.

--
Linda M. Woolf, Ph.D.
Book Review Editor, H-Genocide