Thanks for this info Jim. Sounds like a more nuanced issue than what I had heard.

Michael Britt
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
www.thepsychfiles.com
Twitter: mbritt

On Jan 30, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Jim Clark wrote:

Hi

Here is a link to a brief summary of one recent world-wide study showing no overall difference in averages between males and females on measures of math achievement:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100105112303.htm

However, Hyde's 1990 meta-analysis showed that gender differences were larger (favoring males) the more selective the population. Even small differences in averages translate into considerable imbalance at the extremes (favoring males at the high end), and this would be even more marked if there were differences in variability (i.e., more variability in males than females). It also matters how math is measured ... girls do better in school generally than boys, perhaps because they are more motivated and conscientious, which could also explain findings such as the above. But on advanced standardized tests, the story appears to be different. There are, for example, still substantial differences on SAT (see following link), although this is influenced by who chooses to write the SAT (e.g., higher proportion of females taking test would translate into lower scores, other things being equal).

http://alfin2100.blogspot.com/2010/01/sex-differences-in-math-ability-real.html

A good summary of the complex issues involved is by Hyde and others (including Benbow). See:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/Peabody/SMPY/ScienceSexDifferences.pdf

So I'm not sure that "really don't differ" quite captures the reality of gender differences in mathematics and related domains. But it depends on what your ultimate goal is, I guess.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

"Britt, Michael" <michael.br...@thepsychfiles.com> 30-Jan-10 12:16:43 PM >>>
Does anyone have the link to the recent research showing that girls
and boy's math scores really don't differ?

Michael

Michael Britt
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
www.thepsychfiles.com