Hi

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

?On 30 January, Jim Clark wrote:
>It also matters how math is measured ... girls do better in school
>generally than boys, perhaps because they are more motivated
>and conscientious*

In relation to which the following may be of relevance:
"Boys overtake girls in maths GCSE as coursework dropped"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/aug/27/maths-gcse-coursework-dropped

JC:

I was struck by the following comment on the results:

Mary Bousted, general secretary of the Association of Teachers and
Lecturers, said: "The problem has been that in the 1960s and 1970s boys
were getting 12-13% more O-level passes than girls and no one really
talked about it. When girls started to do better there were Panorama
programmes and inquiries and a national debate. There's a national panic
if girls and women start to be successful. Girls have been more
successful at GCSE and A-levels but that hasn't closed the gender pay
gap. Even if they do better they don't get paid as much."

Things must have been remarkably different in UK than North America!
Certainly there has been much effort over here into reducing male
advantage.  I find it difficult to believe there wasn't corresponding
efforts in UK.

More generally on the issue of gender differences in math and sci, I
had forgotten earlier about the debate between Pinker and Spelke, which
has much relevant material and is available on-line at:

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/debate05/debate05_index.html

When teaching this and like topics, I tend to illustrate the research
on the two sides of the debate and (if appropriate for the audience)
discuss some of the politics of such controversial research (e.g.,
objections to Benbow being on a national panel to study the issue,
assertions that we should not even be studying gender differences /
comparisons).

Take care
Jim

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=133