?On 30 January, Jim Clark wrote:
>Even small differences in averages translate into considerable
>imbalance at the extremes (favoring males at the high end),
>and this would be even more marked if there were differences
>in variability (i.e., more variability in males than females).

Yes, indeed! It is a pity that when people are pointing out male
advantage at the top end in certain situations, they rarely note that
there is usually a corresponding male disadvantage at the bottom end.

>It also matters how math is measured ... girls do better in school
>generally than boys, perhaps because they are more motivated
>and conscientious…

In relation to which the following may be of relevance:
"Boys overtake girls in maths GCSE as coursework dropped"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/aug/27/maths-gcse-coursework-dropped

The GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) is the exam taken
by all school students in the UK at the age of sixteen, usually around
ten or twelve subjects according to choice. Coursework refers to
projects that undertaken in the student's own time, and has contributed
as much as 40 or more percent to the final exam grade in some subjects.
As some of us (including journalists) have been pointing out in the
decades since coursework was first introduced, there is no way of
knowing how much outside help the student has had for his/her
coursework. Notoriously, children with professional parents are more
likely to get substantial help. (One occasionally reads articles in
which journalists have written about how much time they had spent on
their child's coursework!) Then again, teachers differ in the way they
treat coursework, but that's another aspect of the issue.

Going back to Jim's point, I think there is considerable evidence that,
as a generality (with all the usual caveats :-) ), girls tend to be
more conscientious than boys, and spend more time and effort on home
projects than boys. Anecdotally, from my own experience: Mostly I
taught mathematics at pre-university level in Further Education
Colleges in London, but I did have a couple of years teaching at GCSE
level. Almost all the students came directly from local schools, either
wanting to improve their grades, or retaking the exam because they had
failed the first time. Leaving aside that I resented the time spent on
the (mostly pointless) coursework when I could have been teaching them
more substantial mathematical material, the differences between the
boys and girls were marked. Girls tended to produce more for the
coursework, more carefully presented, whereas some of the boys tended
to do a rush job at the last moment. Sorry about the stereotyping, but
here's another one. There were two Chinese boys in the class. Both of
them produced reams of work for their coursework projects.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org