>>> Beth Benoit <beth.ben...@gmail.com> 04/08/10 7:29 PM >>>writes:
  I'll be interested to read the analysis.

-----------------
The "analysis" published here is hardly an analysis but rather a justification
as explanation of the actions of helicopter snipers. Although there may be a
way to understand what is going on in terms of "distance" and attentional
blindness, the true analysis has to look at the training, both formal and
informal, that went on with these shooters, as well as the social structure
that creates this depersonalization of one's moral beliefs. How can someone
openly hope (as occurs in the video) for a desperate and dying man to show us a
reason to be blown away with further fire? The "psychological" explanations in
the Times article go nowhere near that. I don't think these troops grew up a
psychopaths, but they are acting as such in their occupations. Do we want this
to be the result of our boot camps and on the job training? Are we providing
the proper discriminative stimuli to make sure that our trained psychopaths
know the difference between their job and their home? We obviously can't teach
them to discriminate between cameras and guns.

Bill Scott

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=1866
or send a blank email to
leave-1866-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu