Bill Scott said:
"I don't think these troops grew up a[s] psychopaths, but they are acting as
such in their occupations. Do we want this to be the result of our boot camps
and on the job training? Are we providing the proper discriminative stimuli"

Bill, I was mostly following you up to that point. But you went on to say, "to
make sure that our trained psychopaths know the difference between their job
and their home? We obviously can't teach them to discriminate between cameras
and guns."

Given the video and what it shows, I do understand your frustration. What we
see is completely unacceptable and even, it seems likely, criminal. On the
other hand, what evidence is there that these particular individuals are not
exceptional (exceptionally bad examples!). In other words, what is the evidence
that military training begins with normal folk (non-psychopaths) and creates
them. It would seem logical to me that a normal young person trained by the
military would be a normal person with military training (allowing also for
issues of the effects of the horrors of what the soldiers, etc. experience). It
seems especially problematic to assume that these individuals were not somehow
damaged before their military training given that the military is voluntary.
One might easily imagine factors that would pre-dispose such flawed
personalities to choose to join the military. It is troubling, of course, that
the military doesn't understand this or, at least, doesn't appear to from what
we see here- perhaps the issue is how someone with those tendencies would be
allowed to receive the training and be allowed to wear the uniform for our
nation. I know many soldiers, life-timers who are now retired, and etc. and I
find very few to be classifiable as anything other than kind and caring people-
that would include my father, my step-son, and many of my neighbors and
friends. As unacceptable as this video and what it depicts is, I don't accept
the characterization I seem to perceive that all who've served us should be
characterized by the actions of these. . . words fail me. Have a good weekend.
Tim

Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Professor and Chairperson of Psychology
The College of Idaho
2112 Cleveland Blvd
Caldwell, ID 83605

teaching: Bio and neuropsychology, history and systems, general,
psychopharmacology
tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=1876
or send a blank email to