Thanks, Sue.  You're amazing.  I just downloaded PhraseExpress.  Now I'll
never have to type this again:
"In American English (but not, interestingly, in British/Canadian English),
*all* periods and commas go *inside* quotation marks, even if, as in this
case, it doesn't seem to "fit."

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University