From: Frantz, Sue [sfra...@highline.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:14 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE: [tips] Grading of papers submitted electronically

Last month I gave a presentation at a regional conference on grading
electronically.  The handout from that presentation is now available in ToPIX:
http://teachpsych.pbworks.com/Grading-Papers.

I have a Tablet, and I used to use it to grade papers, but I finally gave up on
it, and now just use the review features in Word.

I gave up on it for a few reasons:

1. I can type faster than I can write.

2. I have awful handwriting.

3. Handwriting takes up more space than typing, so my handwritten comments were
briefer.

4. I can use Phrase Express (http://www.phraseexpress.com/) for common errors.
For example, "#num" generates this phase: "Write out numbers that begin
sentences."

5. The handwritten strokes on my Tablet would sometimes be offset from other
handwritten strokes when I would save the file.  I don't know if that's an
issue with my Toshiba, inking in general, or inking in MS Office.  I tried
saving as PDFs to solve the issue, but it didn't make a difference.

Tips:

1. If you use track changes or comments in Word, save the file as a PDF to send
back to the student. This solves any software compatibility issues. And if
students need to revise a paper, they have to physically make the changes
themselves and not simply click "accept changes."

2. If your students are emailing assignments to you (and you're using Outlook),
use Simply File (http://www.techhit.com/SimplyFile/) to move them quickly out
of your inbox into a "Grade these" folder.  Use EZDetach
(http://www.techhit.com/ezdetach) to quickly save those attachments. (EZDetach
can append info to the filename, like the name associated with the email
address and the email address itself.)

3. If students are emailing assignments to you, they're nervous about whether
or not you have actually received the assignment.  As soon as I receive an
assignment, I send a 'got it' message back.  I hit reply, and then using Phrase
Express, I type "#g" and that generates this message: "I received your
assignment.  Thanks!" Then CTRL-ENTER, and the message is sent. (Then I use
Simply File to drop it into my "Grade these" folder so it doesn't get lost in
my inbox.)

4. When I send the graded assignment back, I hit reply on the appropriate email
message, and drag and drop the graded assignment into my message. (See:
http://sfrantz.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/outlook-tips-and-tricks) Using Phrase
Express, I type "#gr" which generates this message: "Your graded assignment is
attached!  -- Sue"

5. One unanticipated consequence of having students submit papers
electronically, is that I have a harder time remembering student names.  I
don't get the rehearsal I used to get when I would hand back papers in class.
Beginning next quarter, I'm offering students a pittance of extra credit if
they include a photo of themselves in their papers.  We'll see if that makes a
difference for me.

Best,
Sue

--
Sue Frantz                                         Highline Community College
Psychology, Coordinator                Des Moines, WA

Office of Teaching Resources in Psychology, Associate Director
Teaching of Psychology Idea Exchange (ToPIX)
APA Division 2: Society for the Teaching of Psychology

APA's p...@cc Committee

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: tay...@sandiego.edu.
To unsubscribe click here: