From: Frantz, Sue [mailto:sfra...@highline.edu]
Sent: Tue 5/18/2010 12:43 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE: [tips] Grading of papers submitted electronically

My last post of the day.  =)

There are 3 versions of Phrase Express.  The freeware version and the v7
Easy version are the same.  The freeware version was made for personal
use.  If it detects certain phrases that appear too 'business' focused,
the program will start to give you pop-ups encouraging you to purchase
the commercial (v7 Easy) version.  I have v7 Professional, but for what
I do, the v7 Standard would have been just fine.

Phrase Express works wherever you can type.

There doesn't appear to be a limit on the amount of text it can handle.
When students email me looking for an override code, #entry generates
two paragraphs of text.

Phrase Express will open folders.  For instance, for me, #md will open
My Documents.  I can type that in a Word document, in the search window
in my browser, in a cell in Excel.  Doesn't matter.  The text will
automatically disappear, and My Documents folder will open.

It will open files.  I've programmed "#grades" to open my Excel grade
sheet.

It will open programs.  For me, #word will open MS Word.

CTRL-ALT-V gives me a popup of the last 20 things I copied to my
clipboard.

Highlighting text followed by CTRL-F8 produces a popup that allows me to
select what I'd like to do next.  I can search for that text through
Google, Bing, Amazon, IMDB, YouTube.  I can get directions there or show
on Google maps.  All of the options that appear in that popup are
customizable.

#today automatically inserts today's date; you select the format.  You
can guess what #tomorrow and #yesterday do.  #now gives you the current
time.  #cal opens a calendar popup.  Select the date you want, and it's
automatically entered.

#calc will open my calculator.

If you're adventurous, you can get pretty fancy with it.

See:
http://sfrantz.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/scratch-the-repetition-automate/

--
Sue Frantz <http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/>
Highline Community College

Office of Teaching Resources in Psychology, Associate Director

Teaching of Psychology Idea Exchange (ToPIX)

APA Division 2: Society for the Teaching of Psychology
<http://teachpsych.org/otrp/syllabi/syllabi.php>

APA's p...@cc Committee <http://www.apa.org/ed/pcue/ptatcchome.html>

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: pcbernha...@frostburg.edu.